UX, Discovery, MVP design
Company: Sense Worldwide
1 Senior UX,
2 Junior UX
Duration: 3 months
(delivered within Sputnik's part-time framework)
Sense Worldwide is a co-creation and innovation consultancy that manages a global network of creative individuals.
We started to work with Sense Worldwide to develop further a product concept they had for their network and to create an initial MVP (minimum viable product) .
Global User Research
Collaborative Design Workshops
Iterative User Testing
Aligning with the client's
We started by running a 'Product Vision' workshop during which we mapped the 'Current State', identified in which areas Sense wanted to innovate, and where the opportunities might be.
We also learned in detail the 'Anatomy' of the Sense Network for which the product was created.
This knowledge allowed us to identify key research questions and create a plan for global Discovery research.
uncovering THE desires of a global network
After defining Discovery Questions we decided which methods we will be using to answer those questions. We went for a blend of qualitative and quantitative methods.
Quantitative (measured by the quantity):
Surveys - we collected information through surveys to unearth wide concepts and probe issues.
Qualitative (measured by the quality rather than quantity):
Interviews & workshops - Whilst surveys helped us see bigger patterns - in order to really understand the 'why' behind them we needed to run a series of interviews and workshops to dig deeper.
What we learned
We learned a lot about the problem that we were working on which we tried to solve for our users. This was information that was not apparent from the beginning when we started.
The research was therefore key in order to find out:
Key problems and where our users are experiencing the biggest obstacles.
We identified different “types” of users that were driven by different goals and showed different behaviours. Following this, we were able to map user profiles.
We built initial user profiles to prepare foundations for later Personas and mapped their experience as they were completing different tasks. It helped us identify gaps - which are the product's opportunities - and that guided our UI design.
*Some of the data was made illegible to protect client's product.
shaping the mvp
Often in MVP, it’s more important to be aware of which features are NOT a part of the product.
Since we did our “homework”, we were able to start creating an MVP knowing which features are “Priority 1” and which could be gradually added later to make the product attractive to our target-user and early adopters.
We understood what our users value most in terms of features and identified their feature 'wish list'
and user testing
Our Discovery research helped us not only to realise what our users really needed but also drove the design choices of our UI.
It also provided us with accurate user profiles so that we knew exactly which user we are designing for and who we should be testing our concepts and prototype with.
Testing this way is a great technique we used to mature our designs quickly using the “Rapid iteration” technique.
Completed the Discovery stage.
Created a clear understanding of user needs to drive product strategy
Established a prioritised backlog of features for following stages of development.
Designed an interactive prototype of the MVP
Collected detailed user feedback through carefully designed User Testing sessions
Project duration: 3 months
*Achieved within Sputnik's part-time framework